Gpg4win (GNU Privacy Guard for Windows) is an encryption software for files and emails.
What is Gpg4win?
Gpg4win enables users to securely transport emails and files with the help of encryption and digital signatures. Encryption protects the contents against an unwanted party reading it. Digital signatures make sure that it was not modified and comes from a specific sender.
Gpg4win supports both relevant cryptography standards, OpenPGP and S/MIME (X.509). Gpg4win is the official GnuPG distribution for Windows and is maintained by the developers of GnuPG. Gpg4win and the software included with Gpg4win are Free Software (Open Source; among other things free of charge for all commercial and non-commercial purposes).
Creation of Gpg4win was supported by the German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI).
Gpg4win is an installer for Windows and contains several Free Software components:
- GnuPG – The core; this is the actual encryption tool.
- Kleopatra – A certificate manager for OpenPGP and X.509 (S/MIME) and common crypto dialogs.
- GPA – An alternative certificate manager for OpenPGP and X.509 (S/MIME).
- GpgOL – A plugin for Microsoft Outlook 2003 and 2007 (email encryption).
- GpgEX – A plugin for Microsoft Explorer 32bit (file encryption).
- Claws Mail – A complete email application with crypto support.
- Gpg4win Compendium – The documentation (for beginner and advanced users), available in English and German.
Gpg4win runs on Windows 2000, XP, Vista and 7. Both 32 and 64bit systems are supported.
The Outlook plugin GpgOL is compatible with Microsoft Outlook 2003 and 2007. Outlook 2010 is not supported.
Important: Currently, the Windows Explorer plugin GgpEX works with 32bit Explorer only. It is possible to use the 32bit Explorer on some 64bit Windows. A 64bit update is in progress. All file crypto features of GpgEX on Windows 64bit can be accessed from the file menu of Kleopatra (e.g. File > Sign/encrypt file).
Manual Page: http://www.gpg4win.org/documentation.html
Download page: http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html