Areca Backup is a file backup tool written in java. It supports data compression & encryption, incremental backup, file history explorer and many other features. Areca Backup also includes a transaction mechanism which guarantees your backups´ integrity. As an additional security mesure areca also features a backup simulation module.
Backup Engine Features :
- Archives compression (Zip & Zip64 format)
- Archives encryption (AES128 & AES256 encryption algorithms)
- Storage on local hard drive, network drive, USB key, FTP / FTPs server (with implicit and explicit SSL / TLS)
- Source file filters (by extension, subdirectory, regular expression, size, date, status, with AND/OR operators)
- Incremental, differential and full backup support
- Archives merges / deletion: You can merge contiguous archives in one single archive or safely delete your latest archives.
- As of date recovery: Areca allows you to recover your archives (or single files) as of a specific date.
- Transaction mechanism: All critical processes (such as backups or merges) support a transaction mechanism (with commit / rollback management) which guarantees your backups’ integrity.
- Backup reports: Areca generates backup reports that can be stored on your disk or sent by email.
- Post backup scripts: Areca can launch shell scripts after backup.
- Files permissions and symbolic links backup. (Linux only)
- Support for delta backup (store only the modified parts of the files – not the whole files)
Graphical User Interface :
- Archives content explorer. (including a ‘find file in archives’ feature)
- Archive description: A manifest is associated to each archive, which contains various informations such as author, title, date, description, and some technical data.
- File history explorer: Areca keeps track of your file’s history (creation / modifications / deletion) over your archives.
- Backup simulation: useful to check wether a backup is necessary
- User’s actions history: Areca keeps an history of all user’s actions (archives deletion, merges, backups, recoveries).
OS: Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7
License: Open Source (GPL) v2