Universal Viewer is an advanced file viewer with wide range of formats supported. Implemented view modes and corresponding file formats are:
- Text, Binary, Hex, Unicode: any files, of unlimited size (even 4Gb+ sizes are allowed)
- RTF, UTF-8: RTF and UTF-8 encoded texts
- Image: all general graphics formats: BMP JPG GIF PNG TGA TIFF… plus all formats supported byIrfanView/XnView external viewers
- Multimedia: all formats supported by MS Windows Media Player: AVI MPG WMV MP3…
- Internet: all formats supported by MS Internet Explorer: HTML PDF XML MHT…
- Plugins: all formats supported by Total Commander Lister plugins
- MS Office: all file types of MS Office (if installed): DOC DOCX XLS PPT…
- Converters: some types can be viewed as plain text: DOC DOCX PDF PPT ODT…
Application is fully Unicode-compatible and can be integrated into Windows Explorer‘s context menu, so there is no problem to call it from anywhere in Explorer: right-click a file and select the “Universal Viewer” item.
It can also be integrated into other popular file managers.
Generally, Universal Viewer is an application similar to Total Commander Lister. But comparing to Lister, it has the following highlights:
- Built-in functions of several plugins: images, multimedia, webpages view
- Support for multiple codepages: ANSI, OEM, EBCDIC, ISO etc.
- Support for text converters for DOC, DOCX, ODT, PDF etc.
- Support for user tools
- Toolbar, status bar, other interface improvements
- Auto-reloading of file on changing, “Follow tail” option
- Displaying of line numbers
- Displaying of non-printable characters
- Combined Unicode/Hex mode (call Unicode mode twice)
- Modern RegEx search library
- Print preview
- EXIF viewer
In the Lister plugins section you will find the list of rather good Lister plugins to use in conjunction with UV. These plugins are developed by 3rd parties and are not included into UV installation.
Additional requirements: MS Internet Explorer 4.0+
- http://atorg.net.ru/universal_viewer/files/UniversalViewer.exe (INSTALLATION PACKAGE)
- http://atorg.net.ru/universal_viewer/files/UniversalViewer.zip (PORTABLE)
The latest updates for language and help files are listed below. To install a language file (.lng), extract it into Language subfolder of installation folder. To install a help file (.chm), extract it into Help subfolder of installation folder.